Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Lawrence MacAulay announced today an investment of $10 million for Vitalus Nutrition Inc. to commercialize a value-added prebiotic.
Vitalus, a leading supplier of customized dairy ingredients to the food, beverage and nutraceutical industries, has developed a proprietary technology to produce a prebiotic from milk permeate, a milk by-product. This prebiotic can be used in infant formulations and other foods to enhance their nutritional characteristics, including dairy products and beverages, fruit drinks, and fruit preparations.
Commercializing this new ingredient will help the dairy industry transform a currently unused by-product into a value-added functional food product, helping grow the middle class by creating new economic opportunities in the food processing sector.
- Vitalus Nutrition Inc. is Canada’s leading supplier of customized dairy ingredients to the food, beverage and nutraceutical industries.
- Prebiotics are non-digestible carbohydrates, a type of fibre, that act as food for probiotics – the "good" microorganisms that support healthy digestion and offer protection from harmful bacteria.
- This repayable investment is being made through the Growing Forward 2 AgriInnovation Program, a five-year, up to $698 million initiative.
- Lawrence MacAulay, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
"Vitalus is about improving lives by unlocking the nutritional value of milk. We get excited about innovation and new value-added opportunities. The financial support of the government has been key in the development of VITAGOS™"
- Philip Vanderpol, President, Vitalus Nutrition Inc.
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Lawrence MacAulay
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @AAFC_Canada
Like us on Facebook: CanadianAgriculture
Manager of Corporate Services
Vitalus Nutrition Inc.
Abbotsford, British Columbia